Copacabana SLSC run Life Saving courses throughout the year for new members and those existing members wanting to upskill. The NSW Vocational Education and Training Board (VETAB) have certified Surf Life Saving as a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and therefore our awards are now nationally recognised. All courses are presented by qualified Trainers and our aim is to make them challenging, rewarding and fun. Keep an eye out on the club noticeboard, emails, the website and reminders via SMS for upcoming courses that you may be interested in.
BRONZE MEDALLION / Certificate ll in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- This course is a minimum requirement for a life saver.
- Open to all members over 15 years of age at the date of the assessment.
- This course involves training in surf awareness, survival, patrol and rescue procedures and emergency care.
- You will want to be capable of completing a 400 metre swim in 9 mins or less.
Duration: 6-8 weeks (Wednesday nights/Sunday mornings)
Cost: $35 (for the manual)
- Pre-Requisites- Bronze Medallion/ Cert ll
- This course qualifies a Member to crew or ‘ride’ in the Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB). No Member is permitted in an IRB unless they have gained this award, which we encourage everyone to gain
- Pre-Requisites- Bronze Medallion/ Cert ll & IRB Crewperson Cert.
- This course is open to members who are a minimum 17 years old.
Duration: 3-6 weeks (depending on level of competency)
ADVANCED RESUSCITATION CERTIFICATE
- This course is open to all members over 15 years of age at date of assessment.
- (ARC) teaches new skills including the addition of oxy-viva air bag resuscitation and spinal brace usage. It requires precision and effective use of patient assessment, EAR, CPR and oxygen equipment usage as the main requirements